Why Chocolate Milk
Recent studies have shown that the nine essential nutrients in low-fat chocolate milk make it an ideal drink after intense exercise, including marathon and triathlon training and competition.
“Drinking chocolate milk has been found to be one of the best post-exercise beverage choices for adults due to the unique combination of natural nutrients,” said Amy Viselli, a registered dietitian for UDIM. “Chocolate milk is effective in providing endurance athletes the carbohydrates and protein necessary to refuel and repair muscles, the calcium to help maintain strong bones, and the fluids to rehydrate after a strenuous workout, when consumed within two hours after exercise.”
The essential nutrients in chocolate milk:
- Build and maintain strong bones and teeth (calcium, vitamin D and phosphorus)
- Promote normal blood pressure (calcium and potassium)
- Help convert food into energy (riboflavin and niacin)
- Play a role in the development and maintenance of the central nervous system (riboflavin and vitamin B12)
- Help build and maintain lean muscle (protein)
- Help build red blood cells (vitamin B12)
- Help regulate the balance of fluids in the body (potassium)
- Promote good vision (vitamin A)
- Promote healthy skin (vitamin A)
- Promote a healthy immune system (vitamin A)
News and Research
Flavored Milk: The Perfect Recipe to Refuel
World-renowned sports nutritionist says, "Just drink it."
Milk! Nature’s Sports Drink
National Dairy Council
Adding milk to your post-workout plan can benefit your body because it supplies many of the key nutrients needed as part of a daily training diet.
Milk Research Overview
National Dairy Council
Summaries of a number of recent studies and a review paper highlighting milk’s benefits following exercise. This emerging research shows that drinking milk after exercise can be as effective as some sports drinks in helping the body refuel, recover and rehydrate.
American College of Sports Medicine study details
University of Texas at Austin
Three new studies of cyclists reinforce benefits of drinking “Nature’s Recovery Drink” after a tough workout.
Science of chocolate milk as recovery drink
The National Milk Processor Promotion Board
Low-fat chocolate milk naturally has many of the nutrients most commercial recovery drinks have to add in the lab – including high-quality protein and key electrolytes like calcium, potassium, sodium and magnesium.